Thursday 9 February 2012

Acquisitions...Again...

Joining a reading challenge and starting a blog has encouraged me to read some of the books that have been languishing on my shelves (and floor) for far too long (that is, if I can find where I've piled them). On the other hand, the more that I'm motivated to read, the more that I'm motivated to buy so that I despair of ever seeing my floor again. However, I must say that I was pleased to find some affordable copies of several Ludovic Travers mysteries. Also represented in this batch are Huntoon Rogers, Christopher Hand and Inspector Poole. One step forward, two steps back...


3 comments:

  1. The Tragic Curtain by ...Page? There's a new one for me. Had to look it up in a reference book. Never heard of Stanley Hart Page until today. A former New Jersey newspaper man who wrote four other mystery novels all published by short lived indie publishers like King.

    As for Ludovic -- I found THE TEA TRAY MURDERS by Bush this past weekend. It's rather scarce, but when I looked it up I found a copy in better condition for less money. Grrr.

    Congrats on the Henry Wade book. A very good one according to Mr. Evans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read three of Page's "Christoper Hand" mysteries and they're definitely insprired by Van Dine. Fair as mysteries go but not entirely without interest. The Resurrection Murder Case involves reconstructing the victim's facial features from a skull and Murder Flies the Atlantic is set on a dirigible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Mr. Ohl, John!

    There are so many "British style" American mysteries from the Golden Age that remained to be explored. It's such a misconception that all the American were writing hard-boiled fisticuffs.

    ReplyDelete